Surgical Physician Assistant – Cardiothoracic Surgery
AdventHealth Medical Group Cardiothoracic Surgery at Waterman- Tavares, FL
AdventHealth Waterman is a 269-bed, full-service community hospital located in the heart of Lake County. Founded in 1938 by Frank Waterman, president of the Waterman Fountain Pen Company, the hospital has grown from an 18-bed facility to a leading provider of acute and home health services in Central Florida. The hospital joined the AdventHealth System in 1992 and moved to its current location in 2003. With more than 1,700 employees and nearly 280 physicians on its medical staff, the hospital treats more than 15,000 inpatients a year and treats more than 65,000 patients in its Emergency Department annually.
Serve as an integral role in the global management of cardiothoracic surgery patients, including all aspects of peri-operative care from performing patient histories and daily rounds to invasive surgical procedures, including endoscopic vein harvest for coronary artery bypass graft procedures.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Performs patient histories and physical exams in the office and hospital setting
- Handles daily patient rounds (including the CVICU), patient education and discharge summaries
- Performs invasive procedures, such as chest tube insertions, placement of central venous, dialysis and Swan-Ganz catheters, arterial lines and removal of intra-aortic balloon pumps
- Exhibits autonomy in the operating room when required
- Endoscopic vein harvest, including greater and lesser saphenous veins and/or radial arteries, for use as a bypass conduit (proficient in use of Maquet EVH system)
- Performs first assistant duties on all adult cardiac and thoracic cases
- Meets the specific needs of the attending surgeon, often assisting several surgeons in a single practice
- Has exacting knowledge of each surgeon's idiosyncrasies to expedite the procedure and limit patient morbidity and mortality
- Uses knowledge of medical model to promote synergistic relationship between physician and PA
- Has extensive knowledge of ventilator management and artificial cardiac devices
- Performs duties of a primary care PA
- Manages other disease entities frequently encountered in the cardiac population, namely hypertension, diabetes, COPD, asthma, pneumonia and others
- Call requirements will be rotated weekly along with weekends
Community and Benefit Highlights
- Very close proximity to the beautiful Downtown Mount Dora and less than an hour's drive to Downtown Orlando.
- Easy commute to nearby beaches and local theme parks such as Disney and Universal Studios among many more
- Competitive Salary, Comprehensive Benefits, Extremely low-cost health care premiums for single or family plans
- Relocation Assistance
- 1-2 yrs experience in CT Surgery as a surgical first assist
- Proficient in endoscopic vein harvesting
Licensure, Certification, and Registration:
- Current, valid Florida PA-C license
- Accreditation by NCCPA
Trust the experts and advanced medical treatments at AdventHealth Waterman, formerly Florida Hospital Waterman, in Tavares, FL. At AdventHealth Waterman - a Grade-A Safety hospital in Lake County since 2013 - our mission to help heal your body, ease your mind, and lift your spirit, while helping more people in the community reach their God-given potential.
The Citrus Tower, built in 1956, once drew awestruck tourists to its observation deck for panoramic views of Lake County's sprawling citrus groves. For as far as the eye could see, there were dark, leafy rows over which a seemingly infinite number of oranges were sprinkled. When the season was right and the wind was gently blowing, the fragrance of orange blossoms could be even more intoxicating than the view. The tower is still there, but the landscape has changed. Now you'll see thousands of new homes on the rolling hills that have always distinguished burgeoning Lake County from its topographically challenged neighbors. There are still groves, woods, barns and more than 1,400 lakes scattered across 221 square miles. The county's unpretentious municipalities still boast quaint business districts with mom-and-pop shops. South Lake County has increasingly become an attractive suburban alternative for people who work in more populous Orange and Seminole counties.